Runner & Fitness Blogger = One Tough Mother

I’m not in that 4% group

A few days ago I came across a website “Smarter Science of Slim

I found it via a forum post on MFP. Well I bookmarked it to look at it later, but I also notice that they had a podcast. So I downloaded the podcast so I could listen to it while doing house work.

Well this morning I had the opportunity to listen to it while the kids were still sleeping. About 15 minutes into the podcast something that was said really stood out to me.  I have heard it before from other fitness professionals, but for what ever reason it was screaming out to me in this podcast.
What was it I hear you say?  Well first of all let me give you my experience.

I started my health and fitness journey 1 year ago.  I just was not happy with my life, and how I was feeling.  So rather than complain about it I decided to make a change. It was a step by step progress but I kept at it.  Well fast forward a year and how has my life changed.  All for the better.  Sure I have had hurdles (some health related, some fitness related, and then just general life hurdles), but who hasn’t.  What doesn’t challenge you doesn’t change you.
One thing I found was that when I started out MyFitnessPal set my calorie goal as 1200.  I thought that was just way too low.  I tired it for a while, but I found it just was not working for me, and I was binging.  I should also not at in my early stages I was not eating my exercise calories back, so really I was only netting anywhere from 800-900 calories a day.

The binging I hated, but I just felt so hungry.  So I decided to up my calorie allowance from 1200 to 1500.  Once I did that I felt so much better.  Again I was not eating my exercise calories back.  My weight loss was going very slow.  It took about 6 weeks for me to loose 2kg. Was I dishearten about it, well I little, but I also had in my mind, that it’s better to loose it slowly than too quickly. So I kept at it, and I kept up reading various blogs, websites, articles about weightloss, health and fitness in general, and also listening to podcasts, and Chalene’s car smart series on healthy living.

Slowly things started really coming together and making sense to me.  Sure weight loss is all about knowing your numbers, but it’s not just about eating less and exercising more.
And that is what this podcast was getting out.  Did you know that only 4% of the population will lose weight by eating less and exercising more.

FOUR FLIPPING PERCENT!!!!!

When I heard that I was like “omg are you serious, well I’m not in that 4% then”. I’m clearly in that other percentage group, with the rest of the population (96%), where by eating more (of the right types of food), and exercising smarter the weight comes off.

At the end of the day you do what works for you.  I tired that 4% group and it did not work for me.  I’m not saying that it might not work for you, only you will know that.  But what ever you do give it 100%.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: